Minestrone Soup with Collard Greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt & ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound collard greens, stalks removed, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans white beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, in juice
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion & garlic; season with salt & pepper, cook 5-6 min.
- Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place ¼ of the beans in a bowl, mash with back of spoon to help thicken soup.
- Add all of the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 4 cups of water.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover & simmer, until collards are tender, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt & pepper; serve with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Adapted from marthastewart.com