Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Pot Pie
First, make the dough as follows:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons lard
1/3 cup cold water
Don’t Forget the Apples
The number of apples needed depends on the size of your baking dish or Dutch oven. Start with 6 apples and slice them thinly. Use butter and brown sugar to taste.
- Roll dough fairly thin, and cut into small squares.
- Into bottom of an iron pot, put a layer of sliced apples.
- Cover with 1/4 cup brown sugar and dots of butter.
- Add a layer of the dough (about half).
- Add another layer of apples with 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter.
- Put the rest of the dough on top.
- Gently pour 2 cups of cold water into the pot and cover.
- Cook over an open fire or in an oven at 350˚F for least 20 minutes or until apples are soft and the pot pie is light and fluffy.