- 1 tablespoonvegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 4 clovesgarlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 medium eggplant (peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 zucchini (diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces or use 2 cups of frozen zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded, and diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoondried basil
- 1/2 teaspoondried oregano
- 3 1/2 cupscanned low-sodium tomatoes (including the juice or fresh tomato)
- 1 lemon (quartered)
- 1/4 cupchopped fresh basil leaves
- Put the pot on the stove over medium-low heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, basil, and oregano and cook, covered, until the eggplant is very, very soft, about 40 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve right away, garnished with lemon quarters and basil, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Recipe from the USDA What’s Cooking website/Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes