- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 large tomato or cherry tomatos, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed to paste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 pita breads & hummus
- 4 large eggs, hard cooked, peeled & sliced into rounds
- 4 small dill pickles, diced
1. First roast your eggplant. Heat your oven to 425° F. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, toss the eggplant slices with a generous amount of olive oil and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove. If you’re making these ahead, refrigerate them then rewarm them slightly just before using.
2. To make the salad part of the filling, toss the chopped tomato, cucumber, jalapeno, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, cumin, yogurt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Sprinkle all the sliced eggs with salt and pepper. Then, to assemble your sandwiches, first warm the pitas. You can cut them in half and stuff the filling in them, or you can pile the fillings on top of each pita. Spread each pita with some hummus, then top or stuff with some slices of eggplant, some of the tomato-cucumber salad, one sliced hardboiled egg, some pickle, and any additional salt and pepper to taste.