Soba Salad with Grilled Eggplant & Tomato
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1-inch slices
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium tomato, halved
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Preheat grill for direct heat. Sprinkle eggplant slices generously with salt in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry.
- Liberally brush cut sides of eggplant and both sides of tomato with safflower oil. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Transfer to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles in a pot of boiling water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain, then run under cold water. Shake dry.
- Combine eggplant, tomato, soba noodles, scallions, soy sauce, lemon juice, safflower oil, and sesame oil in a bowl. Season with salt. Refrigerate 1 hour. Stir in cilantro just before serving.