Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew
- 3 dried New Mexican chili peppers, whole
- 1 ½ cups fresh diced onions
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 ¼ cups fresh sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 1/3 qt canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cups of orange juice
- 1 qt low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 cup Swiss chard, no stems, chopped
1. Sauté chili peppers & onions in oil for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add cumin & sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice & stock. Bring to boil.
4. Cover & reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Remove chilies & discard. Add vinegar, salt pepper & Swiss chard. Cover, heat to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 seconds.
(adapted from whatscooking.fns.usda.gov)